In an effort to keep applicant families, children and our school community safe and healthy, admissions for the 2022-2023 school year will be a (mostly!) virtual process. We recognize this is a unique way for you to get to know our school, program and facility and for us to get to know your family and child. A virtual admissions process allows for increased flexibility for families applying to our school, something that many families need at this moment in time. Whether you are an out of town applicant, working from home, juggling an unusual schedule, all while caring for your family, we are confident that you will be able to complete the steps below in a manner that is convenient for you.
Our goal is for this experience to be individualized and personal, flexible and most of all, enjoyable. We are truly looking forward to getting to know your family!
If you have any questions we encourage you to reach out to us directly here.
There are four required steps to our admissions process: (1) Application (2) Lottery (3) Parent Visit/Tour and (4) Child Videos/Visit.
Step 1: Application
Applications for the 2022-2023 school year will be available on September 1, 2021.
- In order to proceed through our process, an application must be on file.
- An application is needed for all first time, re-applying and sibling applicants.
- There is a $75 application fee. The application fee will be refunded to families that do not make it through the lottery. If you are applying for financial aid, the application fee is waived.
- For families applying after the November 1st deadline, please reach out directly to the admissions office as we will do our best to accommodate for unique circumstances.
Step 2: Admissions Lottery
We would love to meet all families interested in our school. However, we tend to receive a large number of requests for applications. Due to limited availability, we hold a lottery for applicants applying to our Toddler, 2s/3s and 3s/4s classes. This lottery determines who moves forward with our application and touring process.
This season, in an effort to ensure ample time to meet each family individually, notification of lottery results will be emailed to applicants on a rolling basis so that families can begin to schedule their Parent Visits. All applicants will be notified of their lottery results by November 2nd.
Please note, all children applying to our 4s/5s program will automatically move forward.
Step 3: Parent Visits: Interview and Tour
For families continuing in the process, a 30 minute virtual visit will be arranged for parents between September and January.
- For parents only. Parents are encouraged to ask questions to learn as much as they can about our program.
- Parents of first-time applicants are required to attend a Parent Visit.
- Parents of sibling applicants and any families who are reapplying are welcome, but not required, to attend again.
- Parents will be asked to complete our Family Information Form and complete a self-guided virtual tour prior to the Parent Visit.
Step 4: Getting to Know Your Child
We hope to meet your children in person in January. Please save the date for January 14, 2022!
Additionally, we will be asking families to submit videos of their child during the month of December. Specific guidelines will be shared prior to submission.
Virtual Panels/Coffee & Conversation
There will be a variety of optional panels and conversations that applicant families can participate in throughout the process. Monthly virtual events will be held for applicant families to engage with current parents, teachers and administrators.
Applicants will have the opportunity to visit 27 Barrow Street to see our facility in person and meet various community members – administrators, teachers and parents. This visit is for parents only and will be offered on various Saturdays or Sundays throughout the season.
All applicant families will have the opportunity to connect with a Barrow Buddy, current and alumni Barrow families who are available to all applicant families throughout the admissions process.
Virtual Open Houses for the 2022-2023 school year will be held on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 and Wednesday, October 27, 2021 and are optional. An application is not required to attend this event. Sign up to attend an Open House here.
Letters of notification will be emailed to parents according to the dates specified by the Independent School Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY). Families will be notified on Thursday, January 27, 2022 and will need to reply by noon on Thursday, March 10, 2022.
*If determined safe to do so, accepted families will be invited in for an in person, masked, socially distant visit during the school day.
We truly value our current and past families and enjoy welcoming siblings to our community. All siblings are expected to apply at the Toddler or 2s/3s level.
- Siblings must submit an application.
- Siblings are exempt from the general lottery.
- Siblings will submit videos in November.
- For those applying for financial aid, submit all forms by December 1st.
- All siblings receive early notification in December unless a family contacts our office to note otherwise. Please note that early notification is never a guarantee of admission.
We do our absolute best to accommodate all sibling applicants after placing our returning students, but we cannot guarantee morning placement for all siblings.