Greenwich House Music School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, marital status, or physical handicap in its admission of students to educational programs and student activities or to prospective employees.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, instruction for the 2021-22 school year will take place both in-person and online. Certain private lessons will only be available through remote learning, and some classes will no longer be available. Find the latest news and updates on how GHMS is being impacted by COVID here.
- Annual non-refundable registration fee: $30 per individual, $35 per family.
- Registration fee and tuition must be paid in advance.
- Tuition will be prorated for the remainder of the term if students register after the first week.
- Return check fee: $35.
- Finance charges are applied to late payments.
- GHMS accepts cash, checks, Visa, MC, AMEX, and Discover.
- There is no refund of tuition for student absence.
- If a teacher is absent, a make-up lesson will be arranged, or a substitute teacher will be arranged, either in person or online.
- If a student withdraws before the end of the fourth week of the current term, he/she will be charged for the lessons taken, plus two additional lessons.
- No refund will be made after the fourth week.
- GHMS reserves the right to discontinue any student who falls behind in his/her payments has three unexcused absences for the term or is constantly tardy.
- Any student who shows a lack of interest behaves in a rude or abusive fashion or does not make average progress may be discontinued.
Practice Room Rentals
- GHMS’s 14 practice rooms are available for hourly use.
- Rooms must be reserved in advance by contacting Andrew Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rental fee: $10 per hour, with a one-time $30 registration fee.
- Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Minimum room rental: one hour.
- Practice rooms are not available for use on:
- Weekdays from 2:00 – 6:00 pm (peak private lesson hours) and are closed one and half hours before any scheduled events.
- On Saturdays after 5:00 pm
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all students and visitors, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear masks while inside the Music School, even if they are in a room by themselves.
GHMS may close due to snow or other weather-related issues. Day of, the GHMS Facebook is the best source of information on whether we are closed or not: www.facebook.com/greenwichhousemusicschool
Greenwich House Music School grants scholarships on the basis of both need and merit. Students are eligible for scholarships after having studied at GHMS for one full year. To apply for the scholarship for the 2022-2o23 school year, download the application and apply by the deadline of July 15, 2022. You must complete the entire application, including the supporting materials by the deadline to be considered.
Applications can be emailed to Margaret Cramer at email@example.com
German Diez Piano Scholarship
The German Diez Piano Scholarship, in honor of the former Piano Chair, is a special fund for promising piano students. For over half a century German-made music an integral part of life in the Village and at the School. This scholarship carries on German’s legacy of insight, dedication, and passion for music and the close-knit Greenwich House music community.
Sam Reiner Cello Scholarship
Sam Reiner served on the Cello faculty at GHMS for 59 years until he retired at the age of 97. Mr. Reiner’s legacy lives on through the Sam Reiner Scholarship Fund. The Scholarship is awarded to students who show talent and dedication.
Lois Blitzer Bernstein Scholarship
In memory of former staff member and music lover, Lois Blitzer Bernstein, the Lois Blitzer Bernstein Scholarship was established in 2018 to benefit talented but financially stretched music students between the ages of 8 and 18. The scholarships are granted based on need and merit.
Greenwich House Music School also offers a General Scholarship available to students in all instruments and at all skill levels.
To make a contribution to a scholarship fund, choose the intended fund in the designation drop-down menu here.