Greenwich House Music School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, marital status or physical handicap in its admission of students to educational programs and student activities or to prospective employees.
- Annual non-refundable registration fee: $30 per individual, $35 for families
- Registration fee and tuition must be paid in advance.
- Tuition will be prorated for the remainder of the term if students register after the first week.
- Returned check fee: $25
- Finance charges are applied to late payments.
- GHMS accepts cash, checks, Visa/MC, AMEX and Discover.
We accept walkover students from PS 41 and PS 3 for the 2019-20 school year. Walkover can be arranged by contacting Omar Amores, Greenwich House After-School Director, at email@example.com. Music School walkover is only available for children ages 7+ for private lessons and classes beginning between 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. This includes Ballet 1, Junior Ballet, and Art Discovery and Music Makers. For more logistical information, contact our registrar at (212) 242 – 4770. To sign up for walkover, contact Omar Amores.
- There is no refund of tuition for student absence.
- If a teacher is absent, a make-up lesson will be arranged.
- If a student withdraws before the end of the fourth week of the current term, he/she will be charged for the lessons taken, plus two additional lessons.
- No refund will be made after the fourth week.
- GHMS reserves the right to discontinue any student who falls behind in his/her payments, has three unexcused absences for the term or is constantly tardy.
- Any student who shows a lack of interest, behaves in a rude or abusive fashion or does not make average progress may be discontinued.
Practice Room Rentals
- GHMS’s 10 practice rooms are available for hourly use.
- Rental fee: $10 per hour
- Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Minimum room rental: one hour
- Practice rooms are not available for use on weekdays from 2:00 – 6:00 pm (peak private lesson hours) and are closed at one half hour before any scheduled events.
GHMS may close due to snow whether or not NYC schools close for the day, as directed by the Department of Education. Day of, the GHMS Facebook is the best source of information on whether we are closed or not. www.facebook.com/greenwichhousemusicschool
Greenwich House Music School grants scholarships on the basis of both need and merit. Students are eligible for scholarships after having studied at GHMS for one full year. The deadline for applications is July 13 of each year before school starts. Students will be able to apply for financial aid for the 2019-2020 school year beginning May 1, 2020.
Completed applications and all supporting materials must be received by July 13. Applications can be emailed to Margaret Cramer at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to or dropped of at the School, 46 Barrow Street, New York, NY 10014. Mailed applications must be postmarked by July 13.
German Diez Piano Scholarship
The German Diez Piano Scholarship, in honor of the former Piano Chair, is a special fund for promising piano students. For over half a century German made music an integral part of life in the Village and at the School. This scholarship carries on German’s legacy of insight, dedication and passion for music and the close-knit Greenwich House music community.
Sam Reiner Cello Scholarship
Sam Reiner served on the Cello faculty at GHMS for 59 years until he retired at the age of 97. Mr. Reiner’s legacy lives on through the Sam Reiner Scholarship Fund. The Scholarship is awarded to students who show talent and dedication.
Lois Blitzer Bernstein Scholarship
In memory of former staff member and music lover, Lois Blitzer Bernstein, the Lois Blitzer Bernstein Scholarship was established in 2018 to benefit talented but financially stretched music students between the ages of 8 and 18. The scholarships are granted based on need and merit.
Greenwich House Music School also offers a General Scholarship available to students in all instruments and at all skill levels.
To make a contribution to a scholarship fund, choose the intended fund in the designation drop-down menu here.