Take a workshop this summer with Greenwich House Pottery!
We will be hosting a workshop and two intensives this summer, one online and two in-person in our studios in Greenwich Village.
Surreal Surfaces: Mixed Media and Clay Workshop with Lindsay Pichaske
July 17-18, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Join this virtual hands-on workshop in which you will explore mixed media surfaces with Lindsay Pichaske. Lindsay will share her knowledge of various mixed media surfaces, including “cold finish” materials that lie flat on the surface of the clay (paint, pigment, flocking), as well as unexpected materials that can be built up to create additional texture and content. She will also discuss meaning as it relates to material, adhesives, and material safety. On test tiles, you will learn several different finishing methods such as adding feathers, hair, fabric and other media to create life-like details.
– Small fired test tiles or finished pieces These can be bisque or vitrified, depending on what surfaces you would like to achieve. At least 3” x 3”
– Various glues: Lindsay will be using Weldbond, Alene’s craft glue, PC-11, bray-poxy, and Yes! Paste.
– Tiny paintbrushes and toothpicks (for applying glues)
– Any kind of paint: Lindsay will demo milk paint, house-paint, and acryla-gouache
– Mixed media materials to experiment with. Examples include beads, feathers, flocking, fabric, paper, googly eyes, flower petals, string. Literally anything you can think of!
– Other “cold surfaces:” Hard chalk pastels, oil pastels, pencil, ink, graphite, wax, etc.
– Masks (we may be creating some particulate as we sand and apply flocking and other pigments)
Hump & Slump: Two-Day Mold-Making Intensive with Andy Graves
July 24-25, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
This two-day, hands-on intensive will introduce you to working with plaster to make a one-part slump mold. This type of mold is ideal for many of the handbuilding methods. This is also the perfect opportunity to make a customized mold, such as a mold with a built-in foot. If time permits you will be able to make more than one mold.
Please bring a suitable form from which you’ll make your mold, your clay tools and a dust mask.
Glass Casting Six-Week Intensive with Jessi Li
July 12 – August 9, 2021
1:30 – 5:30 p.m. or 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Register now for 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Register now for 6:00 -10:00 p.m.
Students can expect to learn the fundamentals of sculpting with wax, fabricating refractory molds, glass formats, firing schedules, and coldworking. This class does not include built-in studio time. A materials fee is included in the price of tuition, but there is a separate fee for glass determined by the scale of each student’s project.