There have been pottery classes at Greenwich House for nearly its entire history. Starting with classes as part of a larger handicraft program in 1904, the Pottery officially became a department within Greenwich House in 1909. The teachers, students and residents that have worked in the Pottery’s classrooms over the years have included such renowned names as Peter Voulkos, Rirkrit Tiravanija, Betty Woodman, Ghada Amer, Ann Agee, Kathy Butterly, Simone Leigh and David Salle.
Studios at Greenwich House Pottery are equipped with two hand-building classrooms, two throwing classrooms with twenty-eight wheels, a mold-making and slip-casting studio, two gas kilns, four electric kilns, two slab-rollers, two clay mixers, three de-airing pug mills, one extruder and a spray booth. There are seven clay bodies available: porcelain casting slip, sculpture paperclay, white stoneware, throwing stoneware, sculpture stoneware and red earthenware, and grolleg porcelain is available for purchase. A large selection of glazes, slips and washes includes materials for both high and low temperature firing.
The Pottery is generously supported by:
The Milton and Sally Avery Arts Foundation
Lenore G. Tawney Foundation
Robert and Beatrice Hompe Foundation
New York Department of Cultural Affairs